Breakwater is not only a place with stunning landscapes at every corner. It also has a rich wildlife, both on land and sea, with rich fishing grounds and bigger Occasional visitors. Here are the most common sights in the area That you might have a chance to experience by going on our sailing tours.
- They Can live for up to 50 years.
- Calves measure around 3.75 – 4.5 meters long at birth.
- Females are larger than males, growing up to 18.5 meters.
- Can They weigh up to 40 tons, Which is more than 5 elephants together.
- Being so heavy does not preventives from Them „breaching“, the term used When They jump right out of the water.
- They Can Migrate up to 10,000 kilometers, or the equivalent of the distance Reykjavik (IS) – Rio de Janeiro (BR)!
- They eat up to 1.5 tons of food a day.
- They pass down of the songs from generation to generation but during mating season, only males produce songs.
- Their singing Can go from 15 minutes to 24 hours …!
- Their only known natural predator is a pack of hungry killer whales, but the attacks rarely more than scare Cause and bruises.
Sometimes we make magical Encounters on our sailing tours! This humpback whale stayed close to the boat for a while! ?#sailinginskagafjordur #skagafjordur # skagafjörður #visitskagafjordur #iceland # Iceland #icelandic #northiceland # Hofsós #humpbackwhale #visiticeland #gvpics #alliceland #icelandexplored #islenskutivist #passporticeland #discovericeland #sail #sailing #nature #picoftheday
- Their average life span is between 30-50 years Although some have been, recorded to live for over 60 years.
- They grow to an average length of 10 meters long and weigh up to 11 tons.
- Like Humpback whales, Minke whales are baleen whales, meaning They have no teeth but baleen plates That Can capture preys while allowing water and other Debris to pass through.
- Their sounds Can be over 150 decibels and be Heard from Million Miles away.
- Their sounds usually express various needs, or warn of other dangers around whales.
- They have very few natural predators, but are occasionally hunted by packs of killer whales and large sharks.
- With an average 10-month period of reviews tion, the Minke whale has one of the Shortest reviews tion periods of all cetaceans. Some species go up to 17 months … And you thought nine months was a thing ?!
- Despite Their name, the beak of the white-beaked dolphins is not necessarily white.
- They are extremely acrobatic and playful. It is not rare to see Them ride the bow waves of passing boats, and enjoy a little breaching here and there. Show off!
- Calves measure 1.2 meters while adults Can reach up to 3.1 meters.
- They are typically seen in groups of 5 to 50 and occasionally in shoal of several Hundreds.
- They love to mix with other species, especially to join humpback whales for feeding.
- Axis name suggest, harbor porpoises usually swim in or around Harbors in coastal waters.
- They are one of the smallest Marine Mammals.
- At birth, calves measure 67-85 cm long, weighing 6.4-10 kg.
- They Can grow just over 2 meters and weigh between 45-90 kg.
- They are Considered as a rather passive species, usually not covering long distances or leaving a Certain area for long.
- They are also known as a solitary Marine Mammal, not Likely to mix with other species.
- They are usually found traveling alone or in small groups of up to 5, and occasionally feeding in groups of 100.
- They Can dive more than 200 meters deep, but stay near the surface most of the time, coming up to breathe about Every 25 seconds, in what sounds like sneezing.
- Their main predators are to fear sharks, killer whales and seals.
Orcas and Blue Whales are a less common sight in our area Although our Neighbors from the next fjord are enjoying the company of a blue whale regularly These days!